Sunday, December 2, 2007

free...

Again, it has been awhile. We are kinda in a waiting phase right now. As I mentioned before, after we turned in our paperwork, everything is out of our hands now. It's kinda funny how deceiving that my perspective is in this life. My perspective causes me to believe that I actually have control of things, and that in a weird way is very comforting. I have really believed that during the paperwork portion of this process, that I was in control of the outcome, of how quickly we finished and that I could control how quickly we get to our child. But, I am wrong about that. I was no more in control of the paperwork than I am of the Psychologist who did our evaluation and of him turning our report in to Bethany. No matter how many times I call this man, he will not return my calls and for whatever reason, has not turned in the eval yet. I can't make him turn it in, so that we can hurry this thing up. Do yall see how funny this is? We rush, and I mean rush through the paperwork, get our fingerprints and background checks, study ourselves...but quickly (the long self study) all to get to the psych eval and have it take over a month and counting from start to finish to get it completed. 'What the heck is going on?'...i am thinking to myself. Then, I am reminded by a sweet friend of the truth that God is in control. He took us on this journey and He will finish it, in his time. Again, we will be parents, in His perfect timing. I see such a revolving door in my life in the area of control, especially in this phase of growing my family. And the even funnier part is that I like to think that Eric has the problem with control in his life. (sorry babe) I am quick to see his sin, but cannot see my own. Ha ha ha...it makes me literally laugh out loud at myself. Thanksgiving is technically over, but I am so thankful for friends who keep me grounded, cause God really knows how I like to float around a lot. I am thankful that He is in control of everything, and promises that He always will be. This is a truth that I used to not really get, or like. I have frequently been held captive in a sense, regarding God's control in my life. The idea of Him being completely in control, when from the wrong perspective can feel that way. Maybe none of you have ever felt this way. I have always heard the phrase, 'there is freedom in Christ' and I believe that this is one way that I have truly experienced this freedom. I am not a prisoner or a puppet of God's, due to his control. Nope, not at all like I once thought. I am free. Free to live my life, free to put aside my shortcomings, my sin and free to just live in his grace and know that He holds the future and the He is in control. AND that His plans for the future are plans to bring me life and to bring himself glory. I can trust Him. I can rest in Him. I can stop worrying. I can enjoy the journey He has us on.

I have spent the past few weeks worrying about if we are ready. Is our marriage ready? Am I ready? What if it comes too soon, or too late? My friend reminded me that I can pursue infertility, adoption, and even specific children, but there is one that is ours, and God will bring that child to us when He is ready.

I talked with Carolyn (our social worker) this week and she told me that as soon as the psych eval comes in, she will call us to set up our interviews. Then we will have a home visit and be completely done and ready to be officially "waiting." She did tell me not to expect to be finished until after the first of the year. I am glad to know this because I feel it gives me a little time to not be wondering when we'll be done. We can just enjoy the holidays. She sent out an email recently of several situations of babies who are in need of homes, some due this week and some due in the next few months. I am compelled to pray for these little ones who have no home before they are even born. Something that the agency encourages us to do while "waiting" is to pray for the children who are in need of families, whether they are to be a part of our specific family or not. As I remind myself how much God cares for orphans, I hope that all our friends and family who keep up with our blog will be inspired to pray for these children as well.
"A father to the fatherless, a defender of the widow is God in His holy dwelling. He sets the lonely in families..." Psalm 68:5-6
"He executes justice for the orphan..." Deut. 1o:18
"Vindicate the weak and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and destitude" Psalm 82:3
"Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and father is this: to visit orphans and widows" James 1:27
"How blessed is he who considers the helpless..."
Psalm 41:1

1 comment:

David Bean said...

I am sitting here reading a blog, watching and waiting and praying. and wondering.....who is this kid? Well...my Mandy, you are God's child. you might be mine by birth, but you are God's by Grace. Your mother and I watch as this process unfolds, and we are strengthened by yours and Eric's faith. It is a feeling unlike no other. The child that we raised, is now growing in faith, and pursuing righteousness. Practicing patience, prayer, contentment, persistence, love, compassion towards others, faithfulness....all of the things scripture points us all to...you are living out in front of us.

Who are these kids? They are the parents of our next grand child...and they will be ready. Prepared by the One and Only, for a task He knows you can handle.

Having a child by birth is easy (for most), and many parents get on the job training as their children grow. Think about it, most people have children, and follow a normal course of creating a family. Honestly, I never really considered being a father until two or three years in. I finally said to myself one day..."hey these little kids are watching me. And they sort of look like me....and oh my...I had better rethink this whole thing!" Wasn't that I did not love you...I just did not consider 'parenthood'. It just....happened.

You and Eric, by adopting, will be way ahead of most parents. You are 'planning' your parenting. You are preparing yourself for the challenge. And you are looking to God for wisdom and strenth.

Something tells me you will be just fine.

If not, your mom can come down, she is just 45 minutes away! haha!

Your Mom an I pray for you and Eric always. Keep writing...we are blessed when you do.
Superman

"He upholds the cause of the oppressed...He sustains the fatherless and the widow" -psalm 146:7&9